Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Most Holy versus Lesser Holiness קדש קדושים-Kodesh Kadoshim versus Kallim קדש-Kodesh Kallim

Just as the tabernacle’s tent sanctuary is divided into the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies, the sacrifices we have been studying thus far are also divided into offerings of utmost sanctity and offerings of lesser sanctity. The most holy offerings are called Kodesh Kadoshim in Hebrew. The offerings of lesser sanctity are called Kodesh Kallim. A categorical division of the sacrifices we have studied can be divided as follows:

Kodesh Kadoshim
a) Olah
b) Minchah
c) Hata’at
d) Asham

Kodesh Kallim
a) Zevah

Now, if you recall, the Zevah can be offered either as a confession, to establish the sanctity of a vow or as a free-will gratitude offering. So the onion can be sliced pretty thin with this sacrifice.

Now the biggest difference between these two is that for the Kodesh Kadoshim, when it is allowed, only the priests can partake of the offerings for food. With the Kadosh Kallim, both priest and lay worshipper alike may partake. So here I think we get a strong reiteration that a sin is not just a sin. While it is true that Yeshua’s blood is the onetime sacrifice capable of paying for any type of sin that one may commit, the seriousness of all sins is not equal in G-d’s eyes. Hence, we have the sacrifices divided into two categories of Most Holy and those of less Holiness.

For my closing thought today, I wanted to share that while studying Leviticus, I feel like I have gained a renewed understanding behind the intellectual prowess of the Jewish people. I find that this book requires my total concentration and a high degree of mental dexterity in order to make proper sense of the detail presented. In a nutshell, I feel like I have become smarter and that my mind is now far more capable of absorbing intricate detail. I also feel like my ability to concentrate for longer periods of time has strengthened. Interestingly, when a young Jewish child begins Shabbat school, his or her studies do not begin from Genesis but start with the Book of Leviticus. Now I see how the young Jewish children of the world grow up to become some of the world’s greatest lawyers, scientists, and scholars. If a young child can successfully handle the material presented in the Book of Leviticus, pretty much anything afterwards would be a piece of cake.

“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness”-2 Timothy 3:16

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment